Invest in your future: Join WORD Today
WORD membership makes you part of a statewide organization that provides outstanding professional development, and supports excellent teaching, critical research, and the lifetime reading habit. You’ll experience the benefits where they count the most—in the practice of your profession, and the growth of your students.
The International Reading Association is the professional organization of choice for preschool through university teachers and professors and for advocates of reading language arts. WORD is the Washington State Council of IRA.
To find out whether WORD is right for you, browse this web site to discover as much as you need to know about WORD’s function, activities, and goals.
If you have questions about WORD, its member benefits, activities, or goals, contact either WORD Membership Director.
…and consider sending our web address (www.wordreading.org) to a friend who should join WORD.
WORD needs you; YOU need WORD
1. Local councils sponsor literacy projects
2. Local councils provide a setting for literacy presenters and speakers.
3. Local councils need officers and all variety of “doers” to maintain their momentum.
4. Many local council officers move on to WORD Executive positions where their efforts impact more teachers and learners.
5. Local councils help stage special WORD events such as our state conferences.
6. University teachers and community literacy activists enjoy the proactive nature of WORD and its councils.
How To Join
There are three ways to join WORD.
1. Join on-line by clicking on the “Join Online Now” button at the top right of this page.
2. Join through your local council.
3. To pay by check, complete the membership form and mail with payment to the WORD Membership Director, Mary Jane Rant, 2006 Roxburg Ct. SE, Olympia, WA 98513.
In 2007 the WORD Board approved revisions in our membership categories, rates, and year, as described below.
The Associate Membership category is designed for substitute teachers, non-contracted teachers, pre-service teachers, papa-educators and retired educators.
Regular membership is designed for all others.
The WORD membership year is July 1 through June 30.
Regular Members: $20
Associate Members: $10
When your dues have been received, you will be assigned to the local council nearest your place of employment. If there is no local council within easy commuting distance, or if you prefer to be a member-at-large, you will become a member of the At Large Council.